Every morning is a one-armed bandit, Two lemons the first pee is not red, Only nudges away, heart attack, stroke. Some say quit while you’re ahead. Places along the row stand empty now, June lost her mind. Anna followed Peter. A woman I only know to see is always smoking outside.
Grieving for a bee I tried to rescue. I wish I’d never felt love for any human being But it’s animals I love more, more than people. Forever regret the mouse that pleaded from a trap. Oh bee I made a bed for with leaves, forgive me But they can’t and I am in Hell now.
The bee is still In his dry leaf bower. The drops of water I left him He never drank. He no longer tries to fly. He has gone to the flowers.
I’m sorry if I hurt you by trying to set you free. Rest, your work is done now, still bee.
– Magical Bread – Mortification of the Flesh – Custody of the Eyes – Sackcloth and Ashes – Apparitions and Miracles – Was Lazarus a Zombie? – On Your Knees – Banned Books – Conclaves & White Smoke – Statues, Icons and Candles
– Surplices and Cassocks – Incense, Oil and Holy Water – Fasting and Altar Wine – Organs, Hymns and Bells – Papal Bulls and Celibacy – Carpenters and Virgins – Mother and Baby Stables – Wise Men and Donkeys – Gold, Frankenstein and Mirth
– Hermits, Stylites and Prophets – Processions, Relics and Exposition – Retreats, Novenas and Sodalities – Statues, Silverware and Stained Glass – Illuminated Manuscripts and Leaflets – Missionaries and Black Babies – Monks, Brothers, Priests and Nuns – Bamboo Canes and Leathers
– Catechisms and Rosary Beads – Chasubles and Stoles – Soutanes and Habits – Dog Collars and Hairshirts – Censers and Sanctuary Lights – Missals and Mass Cards – Parish Registers and Weekly Dues – Poor Boxes and Collection Plates – Presbytery, Sacristy and Choir – Headstones
– Dominus Vobiscum et Cum Spiritu Tuo – Scrolls, Gospels & Apocrypha – Recordings Detectible in Rocks? Not Yet. – Who’s Coming and When? – Revelations, Ergot & Mushrooms – Handwritten Diary of Jesus & Yeah You Wish – Faith, Hope & Love – Salvation and Damnation – Ghost or Spirit?
– Married Priests and Mini-Skirted Nuns – Jesuits, Liberation Theology and Blind Faith – Bishops, Arch and Suffragan – Beatification, Canonisation and Devils Advocates – Cathars and the Consolamentum – Kill Them All and God Will Know His Own – Misogyny and “Witches” Burned Alive
– Original Sin, Baptism and Limbo – Joseph and the Immaculate Conception – Fit Kilkenny and the Remoulds – Gethsemene, Golgotha and the Garden Tomb – Veronica and the Turin Shroud – Lourdes, Fatima, Medjugorje and Knock – Daniel O’Donnell, Margo and Big Tom – The Singing Nun and the Singing Priest
– Domenica-nica-nica and Kumbaya – Faithful Brethren and Dearly Departed – Spare Not the Rod and Despoil the Child – Dormitories, Refectories and Confessionals – Pulpits, Pews and Stations of the Cross – Fonts, Aisles, Chapels and Tabernacles – Altar Boys, Handbells and Patens – Mortal Sins
– Holy Days of Obligation & Acts of Contrition – Blood Washing Snow White & the Seven Deadly Sins – Who Killed Liberty Bodice, Scapulars & Miraculous Medals? – Kyrie Eleison and Why Did Latin Get the Works? – Sojourn in Hell, Transfiguration and Ascension – Aramaic, Abba & Here We Go Again
– Fish Supper and Chip Butties for Five Thousand – Save the Best Wine for Last and Friends on the Coast – Hairy Magdalene and Tax Collectors – Herod, Pilate, Caiphas and Peter the Fink – Romani Ite Domum and the Life of Brian – Lilies of the Field, Sheep and the Fatted Calf – Gadarene Swine
– Get Behind Me Satan and St Patrick Before Me – Holly Threesome and the Divine Mysteries – Mother Mary Aikenhead and the White Fathers – Jesus Wept and the Litany of Loreto – Saecula Saeculorum and Amen
I’ve given up promoting my books as life is a bit too short and it does no good. However, I will continue to publish what I can and let my words rise like burnt prayers to the heavens. Self-promotion is tiresome and ineffectual, if not downright counter-productive. Let that be an end to it.
So, next. I’ve put a gallery of slivers from my photos as page headers, only slivers because they have to be cropped to fit the space available in this WordPress theme. They’re randomised and you can make another one appear (usually) by clicking them. Meanwhile, here’s what the book looks like on an old Kindle.
Summer doesn’t come round again Because no two summers are the same. If you’re waiting for love to revisit The parks and sofas and cars, They’re gone – under concrete, Crushed and melted down, landfill.
No, summer won’t come round again, Look forward to the unborn, Look backward to the long gone. In winter, don’t wish your life away. There will be another season For you, there will be a new day.
The mile-high club is grounded. Sand dunes on that beach are in tier four. There are cobwebs in the public toilets. (Mind you, there always were.) The back row of the flicks is nixed. Wake up little Susy, it’s over, we’re dead.
You can look at it one of two ways. You can say there’s sodden paper On the ground Or Sunlight shines on one side Of the weed-grown back lane Behind the shopping parade.
A smell of paint thinner is in the breeze And the corner of an outdated poster On a gable billboard Opens like a door.